Mads Mikkelsen Archive
Würden Sie gerne auf diese Nachricht reagieren? Erstellen Sie einen Account in wenigen Klicks oder loggen Sie sich ein, um fortzufahren.

Jagten/The Hunt - Interviews - Magazines & Newspaper

Nach unten

Jagten/The Hunt - Interviews - Magazines & Newspaper Empty Jagten/The Hunt - Interviews - Magazines & Newspaper

Beitrag  Admin Di Mai 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Interviews about the movie in Magazines, Newspapers and on internet sites.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Anzahl der Beiträge : 322

https://madsmikkelsenarchive.forumieren.com

Nach oben Nach unten

Jagten/The Hunt - Interviews - Magazines & Newspaper Empty Re: Jagten/The Hunt - Interviews - Magazines & Newspaper

Beitrag  Admin Mi Mai 30, 2012 4:58 am

From the official Pressbook

Excerpts from an interview originally written by Mike Goodridge for the Danish Film Institute and published in the May 2012 issue of FILM.

Thomas Vinterberg has always sought new ways to push his artistic limits. Now, the Danish director is bringing a powerful drama to the world’s most prestigious film festival. The Hunt, about a man wrongly accused who is
exposed to the hatred of everyone in his small town, marks a return to the purity of vision he had at the beginning of his career, the director tells Mike Goodridge.

In the frenzy of excitement that greeted Thomas Vinterberg’s international smash FESTEN (The Celebration) in 1998, he received numerous entreaties from all manner of people. One was a Danish psychiatrist who handed him a file of cases and said he had a responsibility to explore the other side of the abuse issues in the film. Overwhelmed with travel, development and new projects, he shelved it.

Eight years later, Vinterberg was cleaning up his desk and came across the doctor’s file. “I read it and was totally stunned by it,” he explains. “I felt like I had to do this movie.”

The film that evolved from that chance discovery is The Hunt, the director’s seventh feature, and one which is bound to generate the international acclaim and controversy that he aroused with FESTEN 14 years ago. The subject this time is a false accusation against a mildmannered kindergarten teacher called Lucas (played by
Mads Mikkelsen). In the panic and hysteria thwat follows the accusation Lucas’s life comes crashing down.

No instance of abuse wrongdoing takes place in The Hunt. It is a more classic story of an unjustly accused man. Lucas – who, Vinterberg says, is unquestionably innocent – becomes the target of hatred by all in the small rural town where the film is set. He is initially presented as a kind and beloved man but is vilified overnight, abandoned by his lifelong friends and physically assaulted.

Vinterberg, 43, also found himself probing wider contemporary issues like the viral nature of thought and identity. “It’s uncontrollable,” he says. “Especially in the world today where communication is so easy, people are being judged morally in all sorts of different media. You can tell stories about another person that very quickly become the identity of that person. The people in this town give Lucas a mark and create an identity around him that he will never escape. I find that really interesting and frightening.”

PORTRAIT OF A SCANDINAVIAN MAN

Central to the success of The Hunt is a powerful performance by Denmark’s biggest star Mikkelsen who subverts his hyper-masculine persona to play the hapless Lucas. It is the first time Vinterberg and Mikkelsen have collaborated and Vinterberg describes the process as “absolutely wonderful.”

“This character is in a way a portrait of a modern Scandinavian man,” says Vinterberg. “He is warm, friendly, helpful and humble. He does everything people ask him to, he is being run over by his ex-wife. He is castrated in a way. And the journey we made with Mads was to develop him from this person into the conflict of being a man. How does he keep his dignity without being violent? How does he manage this cold and brutal reality without taking a step from his Scandinavian character?”

“This very manly man, Mads, came into the film with all his beauty and muscles and we decided to flip the character and make him a humble schoolteacher. We worked constantly at not trying to create a myth out of this person but to stay in real life, and Mads is an expert at that. He is constantly demanding answers. Why am I doing that? Could I do this? Could I wear these? He would call me at any time asking different questions about the scenes and coming up with new lines. And when an actor gets the feeling that he knows the character through conversation and improvisation, then all the small details come. He feels calm enough to disappear into the unknown.”

Vinterberg recalls a pivotal scene in the film when, on Christmas Eve, Lucas goes to the local church service and faces a congregation of people who hate him.

“Mads wept all day in every take in exactly the same way,” says the director. “I’ve never seen anything so professional. The scene was all mapped out very precisely but we shot it from many different angles and he has to go through several stages – determination, collapse, anger, relief. He wept for eight hours and there are very few actors that can do that.”

CONFUSING SUCCESS

Vinterberg describes The Hunt as a return of sorts to the purity of vision he had at the beginning of his career. He still considers his graduate film Last Round his best.

“After that I did The Bigest Heroes and FESTEN and those films were all very close to me in the sense that I can see myself in a very naked way in them,” he explains.

The outsized success of FESTEN was confusing, he explains. “It didn’t give me much. Artistically it took away my focus for quite some time. I was like a football player after a big goal and the camera was pointing at me for way too long. Now, I feel I am back and actually looking at my stories and looking at the world to find stories. Now I’m constantly trying to find this vulnerable pure quality from my graduate film, where there was no speculation about the future and you are very honestly trying to regard people in certain situations.”

LIKE A BICYCLE TEAM

The film which grounded Vinterberg again was Submarino, a gut wrenching study of two brothers wracked by addiction. The film was selected for competition at Berlin 2010 and earned him his best reviews since FESTEN. “With Submarino, I felt I sort of came back. If you consider FESTEN like an explosion, the dust had to settle for a bit and I felt I could continue with what I was doing before, knowing a little bit more about how things worked.”

Submarino also saw him teamed up with hot new Danish writer Tobias Lindholm on the screenplay. Lindholm was fresh out of film school when he was drafted in to write the adaptation but has since co-written two seasons of the hit TV series Borgen and directed two of his own films R (with Michael Noer) and the forthcoming A Hijacking. It was only natural for Vinterberg to turn to Lindholm again on The Hunt.

“We are like a bicycle team when we are writing,” he smiles. “Sometimes he is in front and I am following him and sometimes I am in front. We map out the story for quite some time together. We do a 10-page version, then a 20-page version and when we have an idea of the whole story, we start writing. The front bicycle writes 10 pages very fast without looking back and then the other one rewrites it. At the end you have a script which is a Lindholm/Vinterberg script which I then change to make my own.”

The script of The Hunt approaches the story from an unusual angle in that it sticks closely to the Lucas character. Scenes you’d expect in classic witch-hunt movies – the townspeople getting together to fuel their rage, the police interrogation of the suspect – are not there.

“We tried to stay very close to the main character and avoid making a case study,” he says. “This is fiction and we communicate through the heart and then it goes to the brain and back again. So we had to follow the emotional story of this person.”

DEMONS AND VICTIMS

Also, it’s an unusual story in that, for all the drama, everyone is innocent and thinking they are doing the right thing. Vinterberg is a parent himself and understands why and how adults become so aggressively protective of their children at the first whiff that they are in danger.

“The father of the little girl believes in his daughter like every parents should do, and I totally understand him,” he muses. “Everybody has the feeling that you know your child, but there is this cliché about kids that they don’t lie and in this film, we claim that they do: they invent stories, they often lie to make the grown-ups happy and in this case she is saying what is expected of her.”

“Imagine sitting in front of a policeman or a psychologist or your parents who keep on asking you the same questions. What did you see? Did you see this? Did you see that? And imagine that after the third time, it becomes part of your imagination that it actually happened. As a child especially, it is more difficult to divide fiction from reality.

“So to some extent, the kids here are the demons of the film because they destroy a man’s life, but it’s very important for me to emphasise that in a case like this, the kids are also the victims. They are the ones we should protect the most.”

By Mike Goodridge
Admin
Admin
Admin

Nach oben Nach unten

Jagten/The Hunt - Interviews - Magazines & Newspaper Empty Re: Jagten/The Hunt - Interviews - Magazines & Newspaper

Beitrag  Admin Fr Jun 22, 2012 3:33 am

Vinterberg fik ideen til 'Jagten' fra kendt børnepsykolog

Thomas Vinterberg afslører overfor Ekstra Bladet, hvordan han fik ideen til sin film ’Jagten’, der i morgen har premiere på filmfestivalen i Cannes

07:54, 20. maj 2012 | Kim Kastrup

CANNES(Ekstra Bladet): - Jeg fik ideen til filmen ’Jagten’ helt tilbage i år 2000 hjemme i København om vinteren, da det pludselig bankede på min dør. Det var en kendt dansk børnepsykolog, der spurgte mig, om jeg havde lavet filmen ’Festen’. Jeg sagde selvfølgelig: Ja,

- Så sagde børnepsykologen, at han havde en anden film, som jeg også kunne lave, og så gav han mig en lang række sagsakter, fortæller Thomas Vinterberg ved et pressemøde i Cannes arrangeret af det svenske filmselskab ’Film i Väst’, der også har været med til at financiere hans film.

Den kendte danske børnepsykolog ønskede, at Vinterberg også skulle lave en film, hvor han undersøgte den anden side af det børnemisbrugs-tema, han udforskede i ’Festen’. Vinterberg havde imidlertid meget travlt i den periode, og der gik hele otte år, før han tilfældigvis faldt over sagsakterne, da han skulle rydde op i sin skrivebordsskuffe.

- I den periode skulle jeg bruge en psykolog af forskellige grunde, og valgte ham. Og jeg tænkte, at jeg hellere måtte få læst de gamle sagsakter, inden jeg mødte ham. Og jeg blev både chokeret og foruroliget over det jeg læste, men samtidigt opmuntret til at lave en film om emnet.

Vi har savnet Susse Wold i dansk film

Thomas Vinterberg forklarer også, hvorfor han til filmen castede Susse Wold til rollen som en chef for en børnehave, der gør livet surt for sin børnehavepædagog Lucas(Mads Mikkelsen) set i lyset af, at hun ikke har lavet film i 27 år.

- Når jeg caster forsøger jeg altid at modcaste. Og jeg synes, at dansk film har savnet Susse Wold. Hun har været væk i 27 år. Hun er fabelagtig, hun er smuk, og så er hun en fantastisk skuespiller. Jeg syntes bare, at hun trængte til den rigtige udfordring, og det syntes Susse heldigvis også.

’Jagten’ tager udgangspunkt i den 40-årige pædagog Lucas(Mads Mikkelsen), der er blevet skilt fra sin kone og prøver at bygge et nyt liv op med sin teenagesøn Marcus, en ny kæreste og sit arbejde. Men ved et tilfælde opstår der et rygte om, at Lucas har forgrebet sig på vennen Theos datter. Og rygtet om, at Lucas er pædofil, bliver spredt ud over det lille samfund i løbet af ganske få timer.

Jeg er stavnsbundet til Danmark

Thomas Vinterg afslører også, at han stadig er i syv sind omkring sin fremtid. Om han igen skal prøve at lave en stor international engelsksproget film, eller om han skal blive hjemme i lille Danmark.

- Det viser sig gang på gang, at jo mindre historier jeg laver, jo flere er der, der gerne vil se dem. Så på en eller anden måde er jeg nok stavnsbundet til den danske muld og det danske sprog. Men jeg spørger mig selv, hver morgen og har gjort det i mange år. Hvor er det egentlig jeg skal være? Og jeg ved ikke, om jeg nogensinde finder et svar.

Thomas Vinterbergs nye film ’Jagten’ bliver her i aften vist for den internationale presse, og i morgen har filmen officielt verdenspremiere i Cannes, hvor den er med i kampen om de gyldne palmer.

Vinterberg got the idea to 'hunt' from known child psychologist

CANNES (Extra Bladet): - I got the idea for the movie 'The Hunt' way back in 2000 at home in Copenhagen in the winter, when suddenly knocked on my door. It was a well known Danish child psychologist, who asked me whether I had made the film 'festival'. I said of course: Yes

- So said child psychologist that he had another film that I could make, and then he gave me a large number of files, says Thomas Vinterberg at a press conference in Cannes hosted by the Swedish film company 'Film in the West', which also has helped to finance his films.

The famous Danish child psychologist wanted Vinterberg also have to make a film in which he examined the other side of the child abuse theme he explored in 'Feast'. Vinterberg, however, had very busy during the period and there were as many as eight years before he accidentally fell over the file when he was cleaning out his desk drawer.

- During the time I had to use a psychologist for various reasons, and chose him. And I thought I'd better start reading the old files before I met him. And I was both shocked and alarmed by what I read, but simultaneously encouraged to make a film on the subject.

We've missed Susse Wold in the Danish film

Thomas Vinterberg also explains why he film castede Susse Wold for the role of a head of a kindergarten, making life miserable for his kindergarten teacher Lucas (Mads Mikkelsen), given that she has made films in 27 years.

- When I forecaster I always try to modcaste. And I think that Danish films have missed Susse Wold. She has been gone for 27 years. She's fabulous, she's beautiful and so is she a great actress. I just thought that she needed the real challenge and it seemed Susse fortunately.

'The Hunt' is based on the 40-year-old educator Lucas (Mads Mikkelsen), who has been divorced from his wife and trying to build a new life with his teenage son Marcus, a new girlfriend and his job. But by chance there will be a rumor that Lucas has lay hands on his friend Theo's daughter. And the rumor that Lucas is a pedophile, are scattered throughout the small community in just a few hours.

I am tied to Denmark

Thomas Vinterg also reveals that he is still in two minds about his future. Whether he once again must try to create a major international English-language film, or whether he should be home in little Denmark.

- It proves once again that the smaller the stories I do, the more there are who would like to see them. So in one way or another I probably tied to the Danish soil and the Danish language. But I ask myself every morning and have done so for many years. How is it that I should be? And I do not know if I ever find an answer.

Thomas Vinterberg's new film 'The Hunt' is here tonight shown for the international press, and tomorrow, the film officially premiered at Cannes, where it is in the running for the Palme.

Source: Ekstrabladet
Admin
Admin
Admin

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Admin Fr Jun 22, 2012 5:38 am

Jagten/The Hunt - Interviews - Magazines & Newspaper Jagten_Mads_Cannes_17

Photo: Lars Just

Vinterberg viser 'Jagten' i Cannes på sin 43-års fødselsdag

FILM 19. MAJ. 2012 KL. 16.11, AF ANDERS HJORT, CANNES

»I dag er det Thomas' fødselsdag, hurra, hurrah, hurraaah. I dag er det Thomas' fødselsdag, hurra, hurra, hurraaaaaaah«.

Thomas Vinterberg går langs strandpromenaden i Cannes. Pludselig bliver han overrasket af et stort selskab af venner og filmkolleger, som sidder ved et langbord på en restaurant og hylder den danske instruktør, mens forbipasserende ser forundrede til.

Et par minutter tidligere er Vinterberg og Mads Mikkelsen gået mod restauranten fra det fashionable Hotel Majestic på Croisetten, gennem horder af fotografer og fans, der stopper op og knipser billeder på deres mobiltelefoner af de to danskere.

Vinterberg er i den grad ankommet til Cannes. I dag, 19. maj, på hans 43-års fødselsdag.

Tager presset med ro
I aften bliver Thomas Vinterbergs 'Jagten' vist for det internationale pressekorps i den sydfranske badeby. I festivalpalæet i Cannes skal hele verden dermed for første gang se historien om Lucas (Mads Mikkelsen), der bliver anklaget for pædofili.

Og forventningerne er høje. For Thomas Vinterberg er om nogen en stjerne i Cannes, hvor han i 1998 kom på alles læber. Både på grund af de indiskutable kvaliteter, som 'Festen' indeholdt. Men også fordi, han var frontmand i dogmebølgen sammen med Lars von Trier.

I dag håndterer den danske filmskaber dog forventningspresset på helt afslappet vis.

»Jeg har en god fornemmelse i maven. Der er gået 14 år, siden jeg var her sidst. Dengang var det hele jo ekstremt voldsomt, en eksplosion i lys. Det var uvirkeligt. Men nu er det hele anderledes, og jeg er blevet et roligere menneske«, siger Thomas Vinterberg til politiken.dk.

Stolt over at være med i Cannes
Hvordan har folk modtaget 'Jagten' hidtil?

»Jeg har fået fantastiske tilbagemeldinger fra de mennesker, der har set filmen. Folk har syntes, at den er rørende. Det er dejligt. Men det kan være, at det ændrer sig«, siger Thomas Vinterberg.

Hvad er det vigtigste for dig i forhold til at være i Cannes igen?

»Det helt afgørende er jo, at vi overhovedet er her. Det synes jeg, af hele mit hjerte, er fantastisk. Derudover er det vigtigt, hvordan folk tager imod filmen, når den bliver vist for publikum her i Cannes. Jeg håber, at de åbner sig og bliver rørt«.

Konen er højgravid
Betyder konkurrencelementet på festivalen, hvor din film jo dyster om Guldpalmen, meget for dig?

»Selvfølgelig spiller det også ind. Men jeg tør slet ikke prøve at forudsige, om vi har en chance for at vinde noget«, siger Thomas Vinterberg til politiken.dk.

Får du overhovedet tid til at fejre din fødselsdag?

»Jeg fik champagne i nat, da klokken slog 12, her på terrassen på Hotel Majestic sammen med min familie. Og vi skal holde stor middag i aften. Men samtidig ligger min kone derhjemme og er højgravid. Så det fylder også en del«.

Er det sådan, at du måske lige pludselig får et opkald og må haste hjem til Danmark?

»Det er lige oppe over, helt klart. Men hun er først sat til om en uge og er førstegangsfødende, så... Jo, jeg tjekker min telefon konstant. Lige nu er der 16 beskeder på min mobil, men de var ikke fra hende«, siger Thomas Vinterberg.

Vinterberg shows 'hunt' in Cannes on his 43-year anniversary

"Today is Thomas' birthday, hurray, Hurrah, hurraaah. Today is Thomas 'birthday, hurray, hurray, hurraaaaaaah'.

Thomas Vinterberg walk along the seafront in Cannes. Suddenly, he is surprised by a large company of friends and film colleagues, who sits at a long table in a restaurant and pays tribute to the Danish director, while passersby look puzzled to.

A few minutes earlier Vinterberg and Mads Mikkelsen gone to the restaurant from the fashionable Hotel Majestic on the Croisette, through hordes of photographers and fans who stop and snap pictures on their cell phones of the two Danes.

Vinterberg is indeed arrived in Cannes. Today, 19 May, on his 43 birthday.

Takes the pressure with peace

Tonight is Thomas Vinterberg's 'The Hunt' view of the international press corps in the southern French resort. In the Festival Palace in Cannes, the whole world thus for the first time see the story of Lucas (Mads Mikkelsen), who is accused of pedophilia.

And expectations are high. For Thomas Vinterberg's no a star in Cannes, where in 1998 he was on everyone's lips. Both because of the undoubted grades "party" provided. But also because he was the frontman of dogma wave with Lars von Trier.

Today handles the Danish filmmaker, however, expect the pressure on completely relaxed manner.

"I have a good feeling in my stomach. It's been 14 years since I was here last. Back then it was all the more extremely violent, an explosion of light. It was unreal. But now it's all different, and I have become a calmer person," says Thomas Vinterberg to politiken.dk.

Proud to be in Cannes

How people have received the 'hunt' so far?

"I have received fantastic feedback from the people who have seen the movie. People have thought that it is touching. It's nice. But it may be that it is changing," says Thomas Vinterberg.

What is most important to you in terms of being in Cannes again?

"It is crucial is that we all are here. I think that with all my heart, is fantastic. Additionally, it is important how people accept the movie when it gets shown to the audience here in Cannes. I hope they open up and being touched."

The wife is pregnant

Does konkurrencelementet at the festival where your films will compete for the gold palm, much to you?

"Of course it plays also a factor. But I dare not try to predict whether we have a chance to win something," said Thomas Vinterberg to politiken.dk.

Do you ever have time to celebrate your birthday?

"I had champagne last night when the clock struck 12, here on the terrace at the Hotel Majestic with my family. And we must keep the big dinner tonight. But while my wife is at home and is heavily pregnant. So it fills the part."

Is this how you might suddenly get a call and must rush home to Denmark?

"It's just up above, obviously. But she is first set to a week and is the first time mothers, so ... Yes, I check my phone constantly. There are 16 messages on my mobile, but they were not from her," said Thomas Vinterberg.

Source: Politiken
Admin
Admin
Admin

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Admin Sa Sep 15, 2012 12:17 pm

JAGTEN (THE HUNT, 2012) at 65th Cannes

Transcribed by: Vanessa McMahon

On May 20th, the film ‘JAGTEN’ (‘THE HUNT’ 2012) premiered at the 65th Cannes Film Festival in Official Competition. A press conference was held with Danish director Thomas Vinterberg, screenwriter Tobias Lindholm and cast Mads Mikkelsen and Susse Wold.

Excerpt from ‘THE HUNT’ (2012) press conference at 65th Cannes Film Festival:

Q to Mads: First of all we loved seeing you as a brute in ‘Valhalla Rising’ (2009) but also are thrilled when you do a contemporary story that is a very human drama like this when you’re at your best from our point of view. And I’m curious from your point of view what thrill there is to embrace a story like this and what you want to tell about the saga that Thomas made.

Mads: Well, there’s many ways to approach a story but I think that one is the story itself. Another thing is working with Thomas, a different way is for working with one of my friends I’ve never worked with and focusing on the character itself. We were pretty firm from the beginning we were not making this into a thriller because we are talking about an innocent man.

Q to Linholm: At which point did Mr. Lindholm come in and what did you bring to the part, Sir?

Lindholm: Well, when Thomas and I had finished ‘Submarino’ (2012) we had agreed to work together again. We found it quite fun to write together. We are writing in the same way. We like professional stories and to tell in reality so with us reality was there and that’s how it came to tell about this story we had. I became a father during ‘Submarino’ so the paranoia of being a parent was in me and I was very intrigued when Thomas came asking about this story so that’s when I jumped in and then we just started to talk about the subject. And what was most important from the beginning was to say that this is a man who didn’t do it. So, you can say of course we read a lot of cases abut the subject but most of all we looked at this as a Witch Hunt, which has happened in history for a long time. The difference in the 50’s in the US was that it was communist. After the 2nd World War then it was Nazi’s but here is a hunt down of a person and to put that into some kind of well structured story was our goal so that’s what we did.

Q to Thomas: It is a powerful film with powerful actors. I’m specifically interested with how you worked with the child actor and how much of the plot did you tell her and how did you elicit reactions from her?

Thomas: Well, Annika, she is a natural talent. She’s just incredible. We all felt very fearful when she was around. She’s just really incredibly good. It’s not just that I’m a genius. Well, yes, I am a genius. LOL. But in this case she did it on her own and she had a very good trainee who was absolutely splendid and she understood what I was talking about but of course we did not let her into the dirty world of the story. She understood that this guy did something wrong, or did not do something wrong, but she understood the plot without being led into the world of sexuality. She’s brilliant and the dog was brilliant too and there was a lot of pressure on these people.

Q to Mads: When you meet Klara again, there is a moment of hesitation and awkwardness. But the character doesn’t feel that awkwardness with anybody else after the time passes. How do think the character would have reacted to all those people aside from Kara? Did you feel that it was entirely authentic that he’s completely real with everybody else except Klara?

Mads: Yes I did in the sense that we created a very stubborn person, but at the same time we created a person who had difficulties saying ‘no’ and putting his foot down which is a combination from hell in a situation like this. No, he insisted on staying there, at shopping at this shopping mall, at going to this church so he insists that his friends are still his friends. It’s not easy for him but if you have to go that way down that path you have to do it fully. 100%. No, but the story for the end we were discussing that for a long time, how we should finish the story with the little girl. We had many options and then it was such a simple thing that Thomas saw this flaw full of lines and then said ‘this is the scene’ so that came up and then, wait, what was the question? Did I answer it?

Q to Thomas: To me the film was of child abuse issue was not the main issue. For me what the main issue was how quickly people can betray each other. I have a two part question. One, what personally interested you about the psychology of betrayal? Second, the decision to not make it black and white that goes back to the friend or embracing the friend so that there is almost a happy ending?

Thomas: (Sigh) Oh, happy ending! We are not used to that in Denmark! (laughs). It’s a dark and sinister country! Listen, I don’t know if I can answer your question. What I can say is that I find that nobody betrays anyone in this film. I think that I could defend each one of these characters and their movements. She’s a woman trying to protect her child. And Tobias and I, we worked all the way through the script to defend these characters, to understand how they move, why they emotionally choose the wrong pattern or the wrong hat you say. The mother, the child, reacts desperate but understandable. They don’t betray. They just try to defend an innocent child and that’s what’s so difficult about these cases because we don’t know what’s true and what’s not true. This is the danger of these cases and that’s what we found very alarming when we read this material. Did I answer? My answer was a ‘no’, it’s not betrayal.

Q to Thomas: I found the women in the film very intimidating and scary women although with very good reason. So did you write from research or can you explain these women?

Thomas: You’re from Sweden right? LOL. Well, first of all I want to say, let’s save the gender role debate to Scandinavia. We are in France and I’m aware that only men directors made competition this year and I’m aware that there are quite scary women in this film but this is not an attempt to make any attack on any women from us. This is an attempt to sink into reality mostly women who populate daycares and institutions in Denmark. I’ve always wanted to make a friendship between these two particular actors and they happened to be men. That’s why so I can’t come back with a long deep answer or motivation of how things ended up that way. By the way, I love these women. I understand them and I love them and adore them.

Q to Susse: Do you agree with the characters you portray? And if you have a tale to tell about your director this is your chance:

Susse: I understand what you’re saying about the mean women […] I had no imagination here. I had to get help. It’s like one little feather becomes five hands like a Hans Christian Anderson story. It’s about gossip and about a Witch Hunt. And in a way everybody is innocent. She is also innocent because she believes after the interview with Klara and the psychologist: ‘I mean, I’m sure I’m right. Of course I’m right. I have to call his wife and say. He cannot have my son. The son must be in kindergarten and I have to protect him.’ So this is what it is. It’s about a Witch Hunt, a film about smoke without fire and how dangerous that can be.

Q to Thomas: What’s it like being back from your journey since your last time at Cannes with a film?

Thomas: Well, first of all I was always here. You guys were gone for a while but I was here and I’m proud of what I did meanwhile. Back then I had a bit of trouble seeing that ‘Feston’ (1998) was a completion of something. I felt I made the ultimate film in a certain direction. I went down a route and I picked the fruit and there was no more fruit left on the tree so I had to abandon this way of filmmaking completely and search for other stuff. That became very adventurous and also painful at times but I created some of the films I’m most proud of in that period. After the smoke settled over the years I’ve returned to a kind of filmmaking which appears to me to be like the filmmaking I did back at film school with Thomas before ‘Feston’ before ‘Dogma’, trying to make a kind of pure filmmaking which I’m very glad to be back in now. So, that’s it.

Q to Thomas: Can you tell us how much you are joking when you say your country, Denmark, is a ‘dark and sinister country’. Can you tell us how you feel about Denmark?

Thomas: I love my country sincerely. I am staying in my country and I’m proud of the filmmaking in my country. I feel it’s forceful and powerful. I also belong to a tradition of dark tales. I guess not only Denmark, but in Scandinavia in general. I’ve always been attracted to dark tales. This is not an entire image of our country. This is a dark tale from our country, which is a shire with quite heavy people I’d say. I sometimes feel too comfortable in Danish society. It can be oppressively mediocre sometimes and very very small and I’m sometimes longing for fairytales from abroad but I guess this is where my most important stories come from.

Q to Thomas: How do you feel audiences from abroad will reaction do you expect particularly from the subject to your film?

Thomas: Honestly, I have absolutely no idea. I don’t know how universal this subject matter is, but for me the main attraction of this film when I watch it while writing it with Tobias, is the love between these people. It’s not the subject matter it’s the loving and caring between these people. When I watch Mads and Thomas in front of each other trying to reach out to each other with this misunderstanding between each other, that’s where my heart breaks and I guess they must have that in Asia too. So, for me, I don’t know, let’s see. I hope we can cross these boundaries as well.

Q to Thomas: The film is in main competition with a strong line of directors. How do you feel abut this?

Thomas: I have great respect for all of them. I haven’t seen their movies and I’m trying not to participate in this kind of football game. I’m really proud to be in their company. The mission for me is already completed by being here. This festival for me is the only festival in the world that protects the small and pure and personal film and yet has the same strong amount of glamour around it. It’s such a powerful place. It’s such an important place and that’s why I’m so proud to be here. Of course we’re part of the competition, of course I’d love to bring back some gold but I truly and dearly feel that the mission is completed already.

Source: Filmfestivals
Admin
Admin
Admin

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Admin Sa Sep 22, 2012 3:38 am

Jagten/The Hunt - Interviews - Magazines & Newspaper Mads_Cannes_21052012_by_Marie_Ravn_Nielsen_zpsb8b81829

by: Marie Ravn Nielsen

Mads Mikkelsen finder sig ikke i noget

21. maj 2012 08.00 Kultur, Skrevet af: Marie Ravn Nielsen, Cannes

Hvad stiller man op, hvis man fejlagtigt bliver beskyldt for at have misbrugt sin bedste vens barn?

Man sætter da foden ned, så hurtigt man kan! Det ville Mads Mikkelsen i hvert fald gøre, siger han.

Men det går noget anderledes for hans rolle Lucas i Thomas Vinterbergs Cannes-aktuelle film "Jagten".

- Vi har jo med en karakter at gøre, der i modsætning til mig reagerer lidt sent på tingene. Han har måske haft svært ved at bruge ordet nej i sit liv. Og i denne situation er det rigtig svært at have det som ham, når man ikke kan sige fra og komme ind i kampen, siger Mads Mikkelsen til Dr.dk.

Mikkelsen havde sagt fra
Og Lucas, der arbejder i en børnehave fordi han mistede sit lærerjob, har det ikke nemt i "Jagten" - en film der blev modtaget med begejstring af verdenspressen i Cannes i weekenden.

For mens publikum fra starten ved, at vores hovedperson er uskyldig, så tvivler stort set alle andre på hans intentioner. Løgnen griber altså om sig i den lille by.

- Jeg kan godt genkende ting fra mig selv i Lucas, men jeg kan ikke se hans uformåen til at sige fra hos mig selv. Denne her film havde i hvert fald været meget hurtigere færdig, hvis det var mig. Den havde ikke været så lang, siger Mads Mikkelsen.

Kompleks mand skyderrådyr
Den kendte dansker kan ellers godt lide, at der er genkendelige sider i hans roller. Men Mads Mikkelsen er ikke en mand, der finder sig i lige så meget som den ydmyge Lucas.

- Jeg har aldrig lavet en film om en mand, der er så lang tid om at sige fra. Lucas er en blød mand, men han er jo en mand alligevel. Han er far. Og det er ikke alle mænd, der kan skyde et rådyr, som han gør. Så han er en sammensat person og det er interessant, siger Mads Mikkelsen.

Kvinder vil ha' semibløde mænd
- Men Lucas kan ikke sætte foden ned, og det er sandsynligvis også derfor han ikke lige kunne holde på sit ægteskab, sit job og så videre, siger skuespilleren.

Det har han selv set hos flere danske mænd.

- Så Lucas er gået lidt i en selvmedlidenhedsboble og det er der jo ikke mange kvinder, der gider se på, siger skuespilleren.

- Omvendt vil de jo gerne have at man er lidt blød, men er man for blød, så er de skredet, tilføjer han.

"Det er ret tosset"
Han er stolt over at være i Cannes, særligt når det er med en film som "Jagten". En film, hvor vi nok alle sammen på den ene eller anden måde - måske bare i det små - kan sætte os ind løgne, der løber løbsk og venskaber, der udfordres af tvivl.
- Vinterberg kom og talte til mig om det her filmprojekt for præcist et år siden her i Cannes. Og inden der er gået et år, har han nået at forberede den, filme den, klippe den og være hernede igen. Det er ret tosset, siger Mads Mikkelsen og tilføjer:

- Det er selvfølgelig lidt syret, at man endnu ikke har vist "Jagten" til venner, bekendte og Danmark. At den bliver vist her først. Men jeg kunne forstille mig, der er mange andre steder, der er ringere at være end her, siger han og smiler.

Mads Mikkelsen will not stand for anything

21st May 2012 08:00 Culture, Written by: Marie Ravn Nielsen, Cannes

What do you do if you falsely accused of molesting his best friend's child?

You put as foot down so fast you can! It would Mads Mikkelsen certainly do, he says.

But it is something different for his role Lucas in Thomas Vinterberg's Cannes current movie "Raiders".

- We have a character to do that, unlike me react a little late on things. He may have found it difficult to use the word 'no' in his life. And in this situation it is very difficult to have it like that, when you can not say no and get into the fight, says Mads Mikkelsen to dr.dk.

Mikkelsen had said from
And Lucas, who works in a kindergarten because he lost his teaching job, it was not easy in "Raiders" - a film that was received enthusiastically by the world press in Cannes this weekend.

For while the audience from the start that our protagonist is innocent, so doubt virtually everyone else on his intentions. Lie claims that is on in the small town.

- I can recognize things from myself in Lucas, but I can not see his impotence to say no at myself. This one film had at least been much more quickly if it was me. It had not been so long, says Mads Mikkelsen.

Complex man shoots deer
The well-known Dane seems to like that is recognizable sides of his roles. But Mads Mikkelsen is not a man who finds himself in as much as the humble Lucas.

- I've never made a film about a man who has so long to speak out. Lucas is a soft man, but he is a man anyway. He is the father. And that's not all men who can shoot a deer, which he does. So he is a complex person and it is interesting, says Mads Mikkelsen.

Women want to have semi-soft men
- But Lucas can not put your foot down, and that's probably why he is not able to hold on to his marriage, his job and so on, says the actor.

He has even been seen in several Danish men.

- So Lucas has little in self-pity bubble and there are not many women who bother to look at, says the actor.

- Conversely, the like that are a little soft, but if you are too soft, they progressed, he adds.

"It's pretty crazy"
He is proud to be in Cannes, especially when it's with a movie like "Raiders". A movie where we probably all on one way or another - maybe just in a small way - can put us into lies, racing and friendships that are challenged by doubt.
- Vinterberg came and talked to me about this film project for exactly one year ago here in Cannes. And in less than a year, he has had time to prepare it, film it, cut it and be down here again. It's pretty crazy, says Mads Mikkelsen, adding:

- Of course it is a little freaky that it has not yet shown "hunt" to friends, acquaintances and Denmark. That it will be shown here first. But I could imagine, there are many other places that are worse to be than here, he says, and smiles.

Source: DR
Admin
Admin
Admin

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Gesponserte Inhalte

Gesponserte Inhalte

Nach oben Nach unten